The ministry of August Huckabee with Worldview Academy

Sanddunes1

Sanddunes1

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

January to February

The last couple months have been some of the best for me since my time in Midland. I have become very accustomed to how things work around here, how to best interact with my coworkers, and how to fix things when they are broken. I feel like I have basically come all the way up the learning curve of the details, but the ironing out of the mundane aspects of the job help the days pass much more smoothly as a whole.

It has often been said to me that the late winter and early spring are the busiest times of the year for the office, and I am beginning to understand why. We are receiving staff applications by the day, and along with that comes an endless line of interviews - each in need of specific, individual attention so that we can make the best decision possible as to who to take for what staff team. Brandon Booth, a camp director who will be moving to the office this fall, and I were in charge of overseeing the application process, and this year we are utilizing some new methods for interviewing that has helped lessen the workload on us in the office - which I am extremely thankful for because I am afraid we would otherwise be buried by the man-hours required to do an adequate job.

I have also been overseeing a sort of pet project that has a marketing emphasis - February 28th, Worldview will be doing a live stream video from one of our Christianity and Culture Conferences to anyone who wants to watch. I have seen a couple ministries use this to engage their customers and fans, and I am hoping that this can be a new type of tool for us as well. On February 28th we will be doing just one lecture, but in another month or so I am hoping to be able to live stream two or three in one evening, with the vision that staff, students, and parents would make an event out of it for their local community or church.

This has been exciting for me personally because, on top of the fact that we have never done it before, I have had the opportunity to learn all about the process behind live streaming an event, and what types of software, hardware, and capabilities are necessary to make it happen. It has been a little nerdy even for me to try to comprehend, but I feel like I've built some valuable skills in the process.

The month of March is honestly looking rather ominous. Our deadline for staff applications is March 1, and I am hoping to get in 30-40 more applications by that time. After this, we will be finishing interviews, selecting the three traveling summer teams (a process that I am also in charge of figuring out), coordinating our leadership staff training, carrying out background checks, mailing out packing lists to students, mailing out manuals to staff, and working through what types of apparel to sell at our resource table this summer. Whew! It makes me tired just thinking about it.

So as I look forward to the coming months, these are some of the tasks I would definitely appreciate prayer on: that God would give me sustaining energy to work efficiently, that I would have wisdom in the staff-selection process, and that He would be at the center of our plans for the summer.

Pray also for all of us in the office - that we would be creative, wise, and tenacious to prepare well for this summer; for the sake of the staff, students, and the name of the ministry that has such a great reputation among our students and their families.

Personally, I feel like I have been growing greatly. Mondays find me volunteering at an after-school elementary children's program and Young Life, Tuesdays going to Toastmaster's at 6:30am and a young professional's Bible study in the evening, and Wednesdays a men's Bible study, dinner with the office staff, and social time with friends from the Bible study! Thankfully, Thursdays and Fridays are unscheduled evenings, where I usually fill my time with one of the books I am reading,working on my photography, or brushing up on guitar in preparation for this summer. It has been extremely busy, but I love the people I have been able to build relationships with along the way, and the personal growth I have seen through being intentional with my time.

As always, thank you so much for your prayers and support. I couldn't be here without you, and am striving to represent you, this ministry, and my God well. Please send me a message or text if I can do anything to pray for you - it would be my joy! Take care, and I hope to see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment