The ministry of August Huckabee with Worldview Academy

Sanddunes1

Sanddunes1

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Buzz Lightyear Philosophy on Change

Toy Story is probably my favorite film trilogy that I have ever seen. And yes, that includes Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Spider Man. In the first movie, Buzz is being introduced to the toys in his new owner's house Andy, and Woody the Cowboy and Sheriff and Buzz the Space Ranger commence to arguing as to whether or not Buzz can really fly.

Buzz, in an effort to prove his ability leaps off of the bed, bounces off a ball, lands on a toy race car and goes around a track to gain speed for a takeoff ramp, ricochets off the plane hanging from the ceiling, and does a front flip tuck only to land on his feet back in his place of embarkation with the finesse only someone like Matthew McConaughey could pull off. The toys (except for Woody) all cheer, and Buzz stands the victor.

It is at this moment that Woody exclaims the line that much of my life has felt like recently, and to which I am striving to do more of every day. Woody, in the exasperation of being shown up in front of the other toys, exclaims, "Oh come on! That wasn't flying! That was... falling with style!"

The last several weeks of my adjusting to life since my transition to working full time has been what I consider falling with style. With only four of us working full time in the office, work has consisted of bouncing off social media to get started in the morning, focusing on our Fall Camp coming up in order to gain speed and altitude, holding on to the mystical ceiling fan of "IT" for the afternoon, and coming in for the landing at the end of the day by processing payments from parents for camp next year. Lots of moving parts, lots of doing things that I don't feel like I know what I am doing yet, but becoming more comfortable with the process every day.

And not to mention, many of my landings are much more like this kid than anything described with finesse.

But that is just the first flight of the day. Evenings find me looking for different Bible studies or ministries to get involved in to try to find community, reading at my host home (hitherto dubbed, The Ranch), or taking the data entry work home to try to get some done before the evening wanes.

So in short, it has been busy. But vivacious - full of life.

I have expressed to many of you to pray for me to find community. I wanted to thank you for your prayers because community has been something that has been coming along well. I have met several guys that I am really enjoying getting to know, and at least one Bible study that I have decided I am going to continue attending that is hosted by a few older couples in a home. The care and hospitality of these older couples is truly an answer to prayer, and I am very excited about continuing this relationship with them as I go forward with my time at Midland.

Something you can continue praying for is a home church. While I have found some young people from one church that are great to spend time with and and fairly spiritually mature, I am also convicted that I should keep looking, so please pray for that process. I have some suggestions from locals of some good places to try, so I am definitely hopeful. Pray that I would find a church quickly and that Christ would continue to maintain me spiritually until I can find a community of believers that I feel I should be a part of.

Something else that you can pray for is our Fall Camp coming up. Worldview hosts a camp in October every year, and this year I will be camp directing. This role consists of my assembling a team of staff from around the country to take off a week and come work for us during camp, overseeing all the logistics of the camp while it is taking place, interacting with any parent needs during the week, and addressing any student discipline issues. Please pray that I would communicate with my team well, and that I would be wise in my dealings with the students and parents.

Thank you again for your encouragement, and for keeping up with me. My hope is to work on posting some shorter blogs on here that are more topical in nature, so if you are interested stay in touch and I should get something up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment