The ministry of August Huckabee with Worldview Academy

Sanddunes1

Sanddunes1

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hello friends! I wanted to take a second to update. My last post ended with my asking for prayer regarding the upcoming camp that I was going to be directing, and I wanted to take a brief post to follow up with that.

The camp was great. Located at Camp Tejas in Giddings, Texas, we had 107 students come in from all across the state as well as a few from Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. Fall camp is a special camp because while most students during the summer come for 2-3 summers, it isn’t uncommon to have a handful at Fall Camp who are on their 3-5th year. This is both challenging and exciting: challenging because it means we have to think of new ways we can keep camp fresh for the alumni (which keeps things fresh for us too), and exciting because it means we get questions and are able to cover topics with those alumni that most students never get to.

As I said in my previous post, my job for the week was camp director. This consisted in coordinating the staff team for the entire week, handling parent interactions, interacting with the campus to make sure we were complying with our contract, and getting to lead Orientation, Graduation Ceremony, and one additional session for the alumni on God's will and wisdom from Proverbs. 

I absolutely enjoyed my job. I used to work for a wildlife biologist from San Angelo who gave a talk on success in life as learned from lessons gained from going on hunting trips with his favorite bird dog. Among points for success such as, “Hug your giants', 'Be afield whenever possible', and 'Sign your work,” was the lesson to “Hunt with good dogs.” The seed of wisdom in this last lesson was that life is most fulfilled when you are able to do what you love with others who love it as well. As a result, life is easier to be enjoyed and the work being done doesn’t feel like work anymore. I had the opportunity to lead 15 staff and leadership staff literally from Florida to Washington during Fall Camp - some of which took off a week from jobs or school to be there. I was so blessed to have them be a part of the team, and while I might have had my doubts in my own abilities to lead, knowing that I had great "dogs" in the field took away any doubt I had about whether or not it was going to be a good week.

Thank you so much for your prayers regarding camp last week. It means so much to me to receive messages of encouragement while I am here, and I really believe God works for the betterment of his kingdom and the protection of this ministry through the prayers of the saints. Please continue to remember me in yours!

If you want some first hand accounts of what happened at Fall Camp or want to see what a typical week of camp looks like, check out our camp connection website where we have the camp video for the week and daily updates of what students were learning.

Looking forward, I am traveling near Macon, GA this week to help lead worship and teach wilderness first aid skills to students taking part in Teenpact Survival – a wilderness survival and leadership program affiliated with Teenpact Leadership Schools. I worked for Teenpact in 2009-2010 as a staff and intern, so this will be my first experience taking part in one of their programs since college, so I am super excited to renew old friendships, lead worship, and represent Worldview there.


Please pray for me there this week. I haven’t led worship in a format like this for quite some time, so please pray that I would be diligent on the technical details, and that God would give me a right heart to lead the group well in a corporate worship setting. Thank you so much, and I hope to see you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment